Friday, May 25, 2007

Holy Crap! That's good!

I took a hydrometer reading of my Imperial Stout today. Activity had slowed down quite a bit and I wasn't seeing much action. I was afraid that with a beer this big that I had a stuck fermentation, I didn't think that I could fully ferment out a 1.081 beer that fast.

Well, I was wrong. The reading had me right at 1.021 for an apparent attenuation of 74%, the yeast I used is estimated at 69-73% so I'm already well above that. I snagged a small taste of it, I made sure it was a small taste because I was doing this on my lunch break and it is 8% alcohol by volume. Wow is it good! Perhaps a bit bitter, but that should mellow out in time.

I'm going to let this sit another week in the primary and then it's off to a secondary for 2 or 3 months. Only then will it go to bottles. I have plenty of beer sitting around anyway. I have about 150 bottles of homebrew at the moment and another 5 gallons that can be bottled next week (good for 50 more bottles).

No comments: