Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's lagering time!

After months of brewing ales, it's time to tackle lagers. For those unsure of the difference, Ales and lagers are differentiated by the yeast used. Ale yeast is a top fermenting yeast that works at room temperature (60-70°). Ales tend to have more esters that cause for fruit and spicy tastes. Lager yeasts are bottom fermenting and are usually fermented at lower temperatures (40-50°). They are then stored (lagered) for long periods at cold temperatures. Lagers have cleaner flavor profiles and highlight the malt and hops more than the yeast.

I'm trying a lager because I want to have beer around that is more newbie friendly. So I'm doing an American Pilsner, loosely based on Sierra Nevada's Summerfest. This is not really clone, more just in the same style. It uses the same malts and hops, so should be in the ballpark.

Here is the recipe I will be using:
Slice of Summer
Classic American Pilsner

Type:All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%

Ingredients
10.80 lb Pale Malt (Domestic 2 Row)
0.60 lb Munich Malt
0.60 oz Saaz [4.00%] (60 min)
0.60 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min)
1.20 oz Saaz[4.00%] (15 min)
1.20 oz Saaz[4.00%] (1 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet
1 Package German Lager Yeast

I'll be brewing this in about 2 weeks, should be just about the right time for my batch of Irish Red to begin cold conditioning. Since I store all my fermenting beer in the same chest freezer, there are some logistical issues with brewing both ales and lagers at the same time, but I'm sure I can work those out.

No comments: