Monday, July 9, 2007

Building an Irish Stout

My recent foray back to the first type of beer I brewed had me thinking about another beer I'd like to try to improve on: the Dry Irish Stout. This was another extract kit I bought from Northern Brewer. Rather than revisit the kit, I thought I'd build a recipe from scratch. After all, Irish stout's are pretty basic beers. The one thing I really want out of this is to make it finish very very dry in order to bring the roasted barley flavor to the forefront. So I sat down in front of Beersmith at lunch today and banged out a quick recipe.

9 lbs of Maris Otter Pale Malt. This is a nice English base malt. Perfect for this type of beer.
2.57 lbs of Roasted Barley. This is going to give us that nice dark color as well as a roasted barley flavor.
1.3 lbs of Flaked Barley. This is going to add proteins to the beer, producing a thick body and help in head formation/retention.
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] at 60 mins. Nice bittering hop.
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings [5.00%] at 20 mins. Classic English hop. Should add just a touch of flavor and aroma.
Will use either Wyeast 1084 or 1056. I've heard too many people say that 1084 introduces too much diacetyl and even one report of a pineapple flavor. I may stick to the nice neutral chico yeast for the first go around.

That gave me the basic recipe to start with, but I really want that dry finish. So I tweaked it a little more:

5 lbs of Maris Otter Pale Malt.
2 lbs of Corn Sugar. Will have minimal affect on flavor, but will help lower the final gravity.
2.57 lbs of Roasted Barley.
1.3 lbs of Flaked Barley.
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] at 60 mins.
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings [5.00%] at 20 mins.
Wyeast 1084 or 1056.

Basically, I am still aiming for an OG of 1.050 but am using 2 lbs of Dextrose (Corn Sugar) to get there instead of relying solely on the grains. I dropped the Maris Otter down to 5 lbs to compensate. The sugar is 100% fermentable unlike the sugars contributed by the grains. This will bring the final gravity down lower and really high-light the roasted grains. I might throw a small handful of Black Patent in there too and ignore it's gravity contributions. But maybe I'll keep it simple this time and just go with this basic recipe and tweak it after I've tasted the final product.

No comments: