Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ordinary Bitter

Last Saturday was brew day for me. I finally got around to a style I've been meaning to brew since August, the Ordinary Bitter.

Here is what the bjcp has to say about the ordinary bitter:

Medium to high bitterness. Most have moderately low to moderately high
fruity esters. Moderate to low hop flavor (earthy, resiny, and/or floral UK
varieties typically, although US varieties may be used). Low to medium maltiness
with a dry finish. Caramel flavors are common but not required. Balance is often
decidedly bitter, although the bitterness should not completely overpower the
malt flavor, esters and hop flavor. Generally no diacetyl, although very low
levels are allowed.


I went with a pretty basic recipe for this. Nothing fancy, for a 6 gallon batch at 70%:
  • 7.00 lb Maris Otter
  • 1.30 lb Crystal 15L
  • 1.00 lb Victory Malt
  • .85 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (90 min)
  • .75 oz East Kent Goldings [4.00%] (30 min)
  • .60 oz East Kent Goldings [4.00%] (0 min)
  • 1 whirlfloc (10 min)
  • 2 liter starter of WLP005 British Ale
Estimated OG: 1.040
IBUs: 31.6
Color: 7.7 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.787

I mashed at 154° for 60 mins and boiled for 90 mins.

The 2 liter starter was probably overkill for a beer this small, but I bought the yeast back in July so I wanted to make sure I had a good supply of viable yeast.

I'm sure I did now, because I went from 1.039 to 1.011 in 48 hours. I checked on it Monday night and was surprised that the Krausen had fallen already and the yeast had dropped out. I thiefed a sample and got the 1.011 reading. Not bad!

I'm going to leave it a couple of days more, then rack to a keg with a half ounce of east kent goldings to give it a little more aroma.

Should be ready to drink next week!

No comments: