Monday, September 8, 2008

Brown Porter

I brewed up what was supposed to be a brown porter. That was the idea. The recipe was one I found on the internet, it claimed to be a taddy porter clone, but that was a complete lie. It was in reality far more like Black Butte than Tadcaster.

For a 6 gallon batch at 70% efficiency:
10 lb Maris Otter
1.3 lb Crystal 60°L
1 lb Black Patent
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.2 lb Dark Molasses
1.11 oz Northern Brewer @ 90
.6 oz Fuggles @ 15
WLP007, 2 liter starter

Est OG: 1.053

Mash at 150° for 75 minutes.

I ended up overshooting my OG by 5 points and started at 1.058

Ferment cool at 62-64°. I allowed it to raise to 67° after a week and a half to get full attenuation. WLP007 was very very quick for me. It dropped to 1.019 after just 3 days. After 2 weeks it was 1.017. Only 70% attenuation, but it worked nicely for the style.

I ended up with a dark beer with a very full body and lots of dark roasted grain character. Fantastic drinking. Even on a hot summer day, it's very refreshing. Serve it a little cold for the style and it really goes down smooth.

No comments: